Saturday, February 21, 2009

Cake-mania!! Princess Castle cake

It's a known fact that I procrastinate. Alot. I work better under pressure as a result (or because of) that fact. So when I knew I had a major cake coming up, I prepared in advance. Purchased all supplies at least a week before the cake was due. It was due today, Saturday, so I baked and wrapped the cakes Thursday morning.

Castle 1
Friday, well, I didn't want to be done "too" early...so I wasted alot of time, even went to wash my car (and sat in line for 25 minutes before we could even get INTO the carwash!)
Thursday evening I torted and filled the cakes

Castle 6

Yikes that top torted layer is crooked!

Slapped on a quick crumb coat

Castle 7

I needed to make more icing, but ended up babysitting for a couple hours Friday night...no biggie, I can do it Saturday morning right?
First thing Saturday morning I mixed another batch of icing, and got a good coat on, let it crust and then ran a roller sponge over it to smooth. I also cut the notches for the turrets at this point.

Castle 8

Did some shell borders

Castle 9

Added vines, door and windows

Castle 10

Flowers

Castle 12

Added turrets and painted door & window frames. Also added flowers to window boxes. Turret tops are covered in fondant and painted with vodka to add sheen, then sprinkled with colored sugar.

Castle 14

Side view

Castle 15

I wasn't worried so much about "making" the cake, I knew it would work out..what I was most worried about was transporting it across town in my car. In the end, I placed a large scrap of fabric inside a milk crate, slipped the cake on top of that, and then wrapped another fabric scrap around the bottom of the base of the cake to prevent it from moving around. Thankfully I got it there all in one piece, with nothing breaking off! I did have an emergency cake repair kit in my bag though! The party started at 1pm...and was 15 minutes across the city....I finished this cake at 12:45 and made it just in time!

The party was in a local McDonalds, and even as I crossed the parking lot with the cake, I was getting compliments. As soon as I walked in (McDonalds on a Saturday afternoon, sooooooo busy!!) I was practically mobbed by people wanting to see! Everyone wanted to know who made it, etc. Of course, I was in such a rush, I forgot my business cards (for my other business) at home! I did get a name & number for one woman who wants a castle cake at the end of the month! In the end, the cake was awesome, everyone loved it, and the Birthday Girl couldn't have been happier!!
The End.
The end

2 comments:

Bottles Barbies And Boys said...

Girl, you got some serious procrastinatin talent there!

So, when are you coming over to give me lessons?

CannedAm said...

I LOVE that cake!

Followers